25 replies to this topic

#1 Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout

Pot Professor

• Skooler
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3391 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:22 AM

After cleansing the indoor veggie garden area and not having anything growing there for two months, it's time to get it going again.

I am of the opinion that the most bang for the buck in indoor growing is leafy green vegetables. They grow fast, they don't take a lot of space, they can handle cold temps, they start providing food long before they're mature, they don't need a lot of nutes, and they don't need a lot of light.

I'm also making my first foray into micro-greens. Because I can only grow so many heads of lettuce and the average seed pack contains a gazillion of them, I decided to use any lettuce seeds packed earlier than 2012 for micro-greens. I have enough of these seeds for several more trays if this one works out. If we really like it, I might set up a place just for them. I have three, 4', 2-bulb T-8 fixtures that would grow the heck out of micro-greens.

In the back tray, back row, left to right: Salad Bowl, Parris Island Romaine, Corn Salad, Prizehead

Front row: Amish Red Deer Tongue (a personal favorite), Tetue di Nimes, Crisp Mint Romaine, and Drunk Frizzy-Headed Woman.

In the front tray are all of the rest of my 2011 Corn Salad seeds and about a third of my remaining 2010 Tetue di Nimes.

I'll plant another tray of lettuce in about two weeks, with 8 more varities. Before then, I'll plant a tray of mintiature Napa and Chinese cabbages, a tray of spinach, and a tray or two of herbs. I plan to run about 20 trays all told. As they start growing, they takle more space and they'll end up 3 to a tray or 4 to a tray instead of 8. I'll keep it going perpetually all winter and dial it back in the Spring when I need space for seedlings for the outdoor gardens.

In addition to this 6-bulb T-5 fixture, I also have a 250-watt MH lamp that will grow all the spinach. I plan to have a whole lotta spinach plants going under there all the time. Maybe as may as 24. Maybe use half for growing baby spinach exclusively.

[attachment=7030:LettuceGarden.jpg]

• skh, twistyman, mattso101 and 7 others like this

#2 GrooT'mag

GrooT'mag

Lo-totem Plenipotentiary

• The Old Skoolers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3343 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:49 AM

i like this guy

• Yellowjacket, mactheman, Kilgore Trout and 1 other like this

i like to weez on the juice

#3 Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout

Pot Professor

• Skooler
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3391 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:17 AM

Thanks, Bro. :)

• Yellowjacket, GrooT'mag and mactheman like this

#4 MrsM

MrsM

Da Bunny

• Super Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1782 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:33 PM

i like this guy

me to

• Yellowjacket, mactheman and Kilgore Trout like this

#5 Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout

Pot Professor

• Skooler
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3391 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:40 PM

Thanks to you, too, Sister. :)

• Yellowjacket, mactheman and MrsM like this

#6 Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout

Pot Professor

• Skooler
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3391 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:03 PM

Aaaaaaand, they're off. The oldest seed (Corn Salad) is the first to germinate. About 18 hours, not bad. I guess that means that my seed storage method works. :)

• skh, Yellowjacket, mactheman and 1 other like this

#7 Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout

Pot Professor

• Skooler
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3391 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:50 AM

Lettuce:

Microgreens:

• twistyman, Yellowjacket and mactheman like this

#8 mactheman

mactheman

flying high tonight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9145 posts
  • Locationfranks house

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:42 PM

Aaaaaaand, they're off. The oldest seed (Corn Salad) is the first to germinate. About 18 hours, not bad. I guess that means that my seed storage method works. :)

attachicon.gifMicros-Day1-1.jpgattachicon.gifMicros-Day1-2.jpgattachicon.gifMicros-Day1-3.jpg

---------------

------------

hi kilgore just asking mate how do you store your seeds both cannabis and garden seeds,,,,,,,,i keep mine in a wooden box in a bottom draw of a cupboard whats very cool in summer and winter allways the same temp in there,,,,,,,ive used weed seeds 5years old or more and they still germinated ok,,,,,,,,,peace,mac

• twistyman, Yellowjacket and Kilgore Trout like this

:ph34r:_4uthe man from the uk/weed :lol:

i know nothing 

#9 twistyman

twistyman

Reefer Rat.

• Administrators
  • 11167 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:53 PM

I have in a wooden box.

in fridge  butter area

in 2006 I grew a jamaica bean I got in 1992..I think older beans pop better

• mactheman and Kilgore Trout like this

Growing weed is like watching grass grow...

#10 mattso101

mattso101

Hater

• The Old Skoolers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1411 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:35 PM

I've done micro greens the same way under at8. It worked very well. Very little nutrients required and I got 3 harvests out of it if not more. I just trimmed off the greens and tgey would grow back in a week.
  • mactheman and Kilgore Trout like this

Sometimes I care too much.

#11 Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout

Pot Professor

• Skooler
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3391 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:16 PM

---------------

------------

hi kilgore just asking mate how do you store your seeds both cannabis and garden seeds,,,,,,,,i keep mine in a wooden box in a bottom draw of a cupboard whats very cool in summer and winter allways the same temp in there,,,,,,,ive used weed seeds 5years old or more and they still germinated ok,,,,,,,,,peace,mac

I store  my seeds in glassine envelopes, inside a plasctic container, with a dessicant pack, in a refrigerator. I'll snap a pick later on.

• TylerDurdeN, mactheman and MrsM like this

#12 mactheman

mactheman

flying high tonight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9145 posts
  • Locationfranks house

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:19 PM

I store  my seeds in glassine envelopes, inside a plasctic container, with a dessicant pack, in a refrigerator. I'll snap a pick later on.

-----------

-----------

thanks kilgore,,,,,,,,love ya veggies ,,,,,,,,peace,mac

• Kilgore Trout likes this

:ph34r:_4uthe man from the uk/weed :lol:

i know nothing 

#13 Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout

Pot Professor

• Skooler
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3391 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:26 PM

Things are going good. I must have been looking at pieces of perlite because none of the Corn Salad ever came up. Time for some newer seeds. :)

The newly planted stuff is spinach. Four plants each of Regal and Dual Choice. THey've been down several days but they take a long time to germinate. They sure grow fast once they're uyp though.

As soon as I get done typing (and re-stoking my buzz), I'm going to plant arugulu and two types of endive (Frisee and Batavian) into the last eight for this light. After that, it will be on to herbs and peppers under the Metal Halide.

Wow, it doesn't take long to get stoned again with this Deadhead OG x Tahoe OG.

Micro-greens are up front in this pic. I just added teh box underneath to cut back on the stretch. I'm not sure if I'm not seeding densely enough or if I'm getting low germination but I think I want to pack them in there more tightly than this. I just noticed that half of the pots in back are blocked from sight in this one. Seven of the eight lettuce pots are going great. I'll give them a few more days and then I'll dump somehting else in there and in the micro-green tray.

[attachment=7186:Lettuce-1-Week-1.jpg]

Here's the four-tray layout with the T-5 fixture at operating height.

[attachment=7187:Lettuce-1-Week-2.jpg]

• twistyman, mactheman and idjit like this

#14 twistyman

twistyman

Reefer Rat.

• Administrators
  • 11167 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:54 PM

lol..done that..think perlite is taproot.....

• mactheman, idjit and Kilgore Trout like this

Growing weed is like watching grass grow...

#15 Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout

Pot Professor

• Skooler
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3391 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:08 AM

Here's how I store my veggie seeds. Some, like the Arugula in the first pic, come in resealable packages and I just use those. For anything in paper, I transfer it to a glassine envelope, stick it in a hard plastic tray for protection, then stuff it into a sealed plastic container on top of a big dessicant pack. I just write a simple code on the pack and the envelope so I don't have to store all the factory envelopes.

[attachment=7269:SeedStorage-1.jpg][attachment=7270:SeedStorage-2.jpg][attachment=7271:SeedStorage-3.jpg][attachment=7272:SeedStorage-4.jpg]

#16 Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout

Pot Professor

• Skooler
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3391 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:04 AM

Been busy in the greens & herbs garden the past couple of days but I think I'm set for awhile. Many of the herbs I planted will go in the back to help ward off bugs and that will open up room for successive plantings. While most of these will grow new leaves as long as I harvest the outer leaves, after 3 to 4 weeks of that, they start to get bitter. So I like to chop the whole head before that happens.

If you want to know about anything specific, just ask. The pots contain lettuce, spinach, endive, arugula, chives, onions, cilantro, and basil. I put some lavender seeds in some zip-lock bags with some dirt and stuck them in the freezer. I forget how long they're supposed to stay in there before I plant them.

[attachment=7319:LettuceBeTHankful-1-17-2014-2.jpg]

I raided the seed storage facility for old seeds and filled up another micro-greens tray. I used the deep insert this time. The shallow insert is better for drainage but there's not enough soil to hold the moisture and I have to watch it far too closely to make sure it doesn't dry out. I could use a dome but I'd rather not cut down on their light, take them out of the air flow, and make life easier for pathogens. It has a bunch of different types of butter-crunch lettuce, arugula, common mint, cilantro, cauliflower, broccoli, and parsley in it. This is a great use for seeds that would probably have otherwise gone to waste due to old age.

[attachment=7318:LettuceBeTHankful-1-17-2014-1.jpg]

Last pic shows life underneath the 250w Metal Halide light. I either need to splice some chain so the light can hang lower or sanitize a couple saw-horses so I can raise the table; which is now on milk crates.

[attachment=7320:LettuceBeTHankful-1-17-2014-3.jpg]

• twistyman, Yellowjacket, mactheman and 1 other like this

#17 TylerDurdeN

TylerDurdeN

GrOw CluB

• Skooler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1047 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:44 AM

So envious man we love our veggies here and i swear id prefer a nice rib eye steak or grilled chicken breasts over a nice crisp light bed of salad with some blue cheese dressing any day of the week man!
Im afraid to come in kilgores threads anymore all this food makes me hungry man!
  • Yellowjacket, mactheman, idjit and 1 other like this

STATE COMPLIANT legal medical Patient/CAREGIVER
On tha porch.

Somebody's GranDaddy B)

#18 Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout

Pot Professor

• Skooler
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3391 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:32 PM

Im afraid to come in kilgores threads anymore all this food makes me hungry man!

A finer compliment, I cannot imagine. Thanks. :)

• Yellowjacket, mactheman and idjit like this

#19 Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout

Pot Professor

• Skooler
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3391 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:47 PM

I love seeing the little sprouts coming up out of the soil. Next to eating the stuff, it's my favorite part.

[attachment=7373:GreensGarden-1-20-2014-1.jpg][attachment=7374:GreensGarden-1-20-2014-2.jpg][attachment=7375:GreensGarden-1-20-2014-3.jpg][attachment=7394:GreensGarden-1-20-2014-4.jpg][attachment=7395:GreensGarden-1-20-2014-5.jpg]

#20 idjit

idjit

Tardling

• Skooler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1589 posts
  • Locationlost

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:56 PM

Nothing more natural than growing your own food..........as a society we seem to strive to live as unnaturally as possible.
  • Yellowjacket, mactheman and Kilgore Trout like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users