- - - - -

DWC Transplanting

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Eddie McPot

Eddie McPot
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:50 PM

I kinda jumped into hydroponics, DWC in particular in 2008. I started using the 5 gallon buckets in 2009. I did this to ease mobility, moving the plants, elevation, and overall pH stability. I had help from all the nice folks at the skool but I also came up with some of my own innovations.

I haven't saw a transplanting guide anywhere on the net for DWC. Here is what I do when moving the plants from veg to the bloom closet. This particular Frankenberry has been vegged 6 weeks from clone. I should have transplanted this mom into a 6" pot sooner. I had to cut out the bottom of the pot to accommodate the massive roots.

Anyway 1st mix up your nutrients and get ready to get busy.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52323[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]52324[/ATTACH]

Gently massage the root mass into the bigger pot, leaving the 3" pot on the plant. Make sure to cut the hole just enough so the 3" pot rests on the bottom of the 6" pot. Fill with lava rock, marbles or smooth stones. This will support the massive beast.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52325[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]52326[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]52327[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]52328[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]52329[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]52330[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]52331[/ATTACH]

I had to tie her back to the wall a bit to stabilize her. No bucket jack needed she is over 4 foot already. I will have to raise the lamp in a few weeks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52334[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]52333[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]52332[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]52335[/ATTACH]

Recheck your pH in a few hours. Don't forget the airstone(s) In a week I'll chop some lower branches and we will be on the way. :love-weed:

Check out my Frankenberry thread for more info on the plants origins.
  • TylerDurdeN, ... and Crosscut like this

#2 scrogbubbles

scrogbubbles
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:57 PM

I use the same method with the tiny net-pots and the hole. It really saves time and space by being able to keep them in the small pots in a tote for extra long then moving to a bucket with minimal transplant shock.
  • TylerDurdeN and Eddie McPot like this

#3 TylerDurdeN

TylerDurdeN
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:56 AM

Nice work eddie ill be pretty much doing the same thing as i work the monsters into my grow this is the most sensible and easiest possible way i could think of retranspalanting small pots to bigger pots and those pre built Six inch netpot/lids u cant beat um.
Peace
  • Eddie McPot likes this

#4 Eddie McPot

Eddie McPot
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:46 PM

Another thing about using a tub is root binding. I was doing 6 plants in a 10 gallon tote and the pH was all over the scale. The roots would fill the tub pretty quick and slow down the budding. In the buckets I can start veg 3-4 small plants and transplant them easily into different buckets as they grow. In the end at chopping time I have about 1/2 to 3/4 of the bucket filled with roots. Keeping the buckets at least 3/4 full also is beneficial to building the roots ends, less water and the upper portion of the roots will harden and the ends fall off. I know this from experience. About once a week I add at least 1 gallon of water regardless of EC. Once you find the correct mixture say 1.6 or so then the pH drops slightly with water consumption, adding water will raise the pH back up to your sweet spot. Mine is about 5.8 at 1.9 Frankenberry has an appetite. The Milkshake does better at 1.6 @ 5.8pH.
  • TylerDurdeN, ... and pockets like this

#5 TylerDurdeN

TylerDurdeN
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:49 AM

Good info eddie agreed if i was doing monsters which i plan on doing in the very near future they will all own there own bucket particularly for root space. However i do have to agree in the sence that root growth and grow rates are all strain specific. For instance ive had strains shoot a whip root shoot out like they are looking to hit bottom before they grow up.. And ive had strains take up to a week to even come out of the pots in the meantime the whole time building a Nest insides the pots before they blow out.. So if one has the inclination they can actually grow several plants in one res they just need to know what they strains are going to do if u feel me.
My veg tub is good up too a good three weeks then they transplant to buckets given proper veg then off to whatever i have planned..
Point is given less veg u really can fit more plants in a buckets they will share the same res binded or not and will yield more than say just one plant with three weeks veg in thoery id think 2plants with three weeks veg may possibly grow the same root mass as one plant with 6-8 weeks veg make sence?
I know its against the grain its just how ive alwayz done it not to stare people wrong in reading this if it was up to me id veg my plants 3 months in which obviously they will demand there own bucket or tub even..
But the truth of the matter is theres a million ways to skin a cat anything possible..
Also dont be afraid of root trimming in veg they grow right back if my plants roots get tangled in the tub in veg i simply either tear them apart or cut them very simply they grow back..
Anyway good info on the ph i agree its all strain dependant again ive found that my sativa plants like to sit up towards the 6.2-6.4 range it just what they do no matter what i do..
So peeps really gotta think about what putting there tubs and buckets together accordingly your obviously not going to want a hard hitting indica overeating plant in with a more sativa dom plant that requires moderate feeding with higher ph.
Peeps just need to be smart i guess.
All my strains in the rdwc require pretty much the same feeding its how ive built it.
Anyway thanks for the thread i love dwc discussion.
Peace.
  • Eddie McPot likes this

#6 Eddie McPot

Eddie McPot
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:05 AM

Ya I get root entanglement in veg I just gently run my fingers through them. Keep the bucket full of water or the smaller plant will wrap tight around the other's roots and stop making more roots for it's self. Strains also do act differently as you mentioned. You get a strain's needs locked in then different pheno pops up and shoots your rhythm all to shit. The next clone I pull I'll do a pictorial on that as well. From plug to 3" pot.
  • TylerDurdeN and pockets like this

#7 EddiesGhost

EddiesGhost

Freshman

• Skooler
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 03:37 AM

Soon as I get my camera going again I'll upload some pics. Soil transplants to DWC and rooting some flowering cuttings, and reversal. Alien Breast Milk and some Extreme Cream.

• twistyman and mactheman like this

#8 mactheman

mactheman

flying high tonight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9295 posts
  • Locationfranks house

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:49 AM

Soon as I get my camera going again I'll upload some pics. Soil transplants to DWC and rooting some flowering cuttings, and reversal. Alien Breast Milk and some Extreme Cream.

hey eddie you still doing any growing out side now ? peace..mac,

• twistyman likes this

:ph34r:_4uthe man from the uk/weed :lol:

i know nothing 

#9 EddiesGhost

EddiesGhost

Freshman

• Skooler
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 03:28 AM

Soon as them pesky mushroom hunters disperse. Got some breast milk and some frankenberry femmes soaking now.

• twistyman and mactheman like this

#10 mactheman

mactheman

flying high tonight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9295 posts
  • Locationfranks house

Posted 29 April 2017 - 08:44 AM

Soon as them pesky mushroom hunters disperse. Got some breast milk and some frankenberry femmes soaking now.

hi mate what type of shroom are they Magic or fried with bacon lol....i like both ... :ph34r: peace,,mac,,

• twistyman likes this

i know nothing 

#11 EddiesGhost

EddiesGhost

Freshman

• Skooler
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 01:05 AM

Alien Breastmilk (Area 51 crossed with Milkshake). Gonna reverse one and make more seeds. These were cut from a plant during flushing. These cuttings are almost 4 weeks old from initial cut. I'm using Clone-X gel and the concentrate mix in the cloner. Seems to give great results.

Attached File  100_8210.JPG   144.95KB   0 downloads

Attached File  100_8211.JPG   148.86KB   0 downloads

Attached File  100_8212.JPG   150.7KB   0 downloads

• twistyman likes this

#12 mactheman

mactheman

flying high tonight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9295 posts
  • Locationfranks house

Posted 30 April 2017 - 10:49 AM

Alien Breastmilk (Area 51 crossed with Milkshake). Gonna reverse one and make more seeds. These were cut from a plant during flushing. These cuttings are almost 4 weeks old from initial cut. I'm using Clone-X gel and the concentrate mix in the cloner. Seems to give great results.

attachicon.gif100_8210.JPG

attachicon.gif100_8211.JPG

attachicon.gif100_8212.JPG

hi Eddie ,,,,,have you ever tried re-vegging a plant at all ? ,,,  i only ask cuz i can see some cuts have the whirl of the leaves at the bottom of the cuts..,,peace,,mac,

• twistyman likes this

i know nothing 

#13 EddiesGhost

EddiesGhost

Freshman

• Skooler
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 04:27 PM

Ya I've revegged to make males from several strains . These are revegged ABM buds. I have caught them just as they show sex and still takes just as long to root and revert. The buds seem to root faster then BAM they launch.

• mactheman likes this

#14 mactheman

mactheman

flying high tonight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9295 posts
  • Locationfranks house

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:56 AM

Ya I've revegged to make males from several strains . These are revegged ABM buds. I have caught them just as they show sex and still takes just as long to root and revert. The buds seem to root faster then BAM they launch.

yea its a great way to make clones ...peace,,mac.

• twistyman likes this

i know nothing 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users