- - - - -

MAKING HERBAL TINCTURES FOR HEALTH AND ILLNESS

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 mactheman

mactheman
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:36 PM

hi skoolers i am starting this thread about herbs and how to use them ,It started as an idea with tmag so thanks tmag, First how to make a simple Tincture take the herb what you are going to use :1partof the crushed plant material to 5 partsof at least 60% Alcohol,the herb is soaked in the alcohol in a stopped glass bottle for3-7 days,kept in cool dark dry place andevery now nd then given a stir or shake.then poured off and pressed out of the soaked plant and topped up with the required volume of alcohol.then leave undisturbed untill it is clear in abot 12 hours then filtered. tinctures are usualy used in so many drops for internal use and teaspoons for external use, Herbal vinegers and wines ,steep about 1 tablespoon (10grams)of freash or dried herbs 7floz(200ml)of wine or cider vineger and alcohol.mixture should be left for at least 24 hours before straining into bottles . Herbal oils,steep about 1/4oz(5grams)of fresh or dried herbs in4fl oz(100ml)of pure vegetable oil such as almond or olive oil for several weeks ina warm ,dry sunny place and then straining ,always keep in brown glass bottles ,Herbal teas,these are mild in action,such as peppermint,lime and chamomile.and drunk hot or cold like tea ,just make in tea pot glass or china pot,1 spoon heaped(dried)or 3 teaspoons fresh herb for each cup in pot or jug.sweeten with honey, Heres one for arthritis,back pain white willow bark its anti-inflammatory, and a mild painkiller ,Take 1-2oz of the willow bark to1-2pints of water.put in saucepan of water put on tight lid ,then turn downheat as low as it will go and simmer for 10 -15 minutes,strain discard herb,pour into clean bottle.keep in fridge for up to4 days,,dose1/2 cup a day as a tonic or up to3cups for acute conditions.can be diluted with equal amount of water,..,Willow bark contains aspirin like compounds and dose not upset the stomach,use to reduce dependency on aspirin and other anti-inflammatories,PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST YOUR HERBAL RECIPES HERE, Peace,mac.

Edited by mactheman, 24 February 2012 - 08:38 PM.

• twistyman, Desert Woman, Crosscut and 3 others like this

#2 T'Mag

T'Mag
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:41 PM

way cool big mac.
i'm sure i got a few ideas stashed up my sleeve.
  • Desert Woman and mactheman like this

#3 mactheman

mactheman
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:57 PM

Heres another recipe for migraine and arthritis ,its also anti-inflammatory,make tincture from fresh plant of FEVERFEW,Dose is 1teaspoon of tincture in a little water at the first sign of a migraine,repeat after 2 hours if necessary.You can if you have fresh plants growing ,butter a slice a of bread and cover with adouble layer of feverfew leaves,put another slice of buttered bread on top,and press down ,then cut in to cubes,each cube should have aout 2-3 leaves on it. keep in freezer,wrap each cube in plastic wrap ,label,date and freeze,dose one cube at first sign of headache then every two hours till headache as gone,WARNING DO NOT USE IN PREGNANCY OR BREAST FEEDING,DONT GIVE TO CHILDREN,AND DO NOT TAKE IF TAKING BLOODTHINNG DRUGS EG WARFARIN.Peace,mac. PS this herb tastes very bitter,you can make a tincture also with this herb,

Edited by mactheman, 25 February 2012 - 10:35 AM.

• twistyman, Desert Woman, Crosscut and 2 others like this

#4 mactheman

mactheman
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:48 AM

recipe for the use of the marshmallow plant(Althea officinalis,)for dry coughs,heart burn,irritable bladder, soak1oz of cut root or leaf in 1pt of cold water overnight,stain and drink 3 cups daily. For insect bites and stings ,Take enough dried marshmallow root to cover the areas bitten , make a powder mix with water and make stiff paste,apply thickly and allow to dry,then wash off replace the paste every2-3 hours,,peace,mac,
  • twistyman, Crosscut and GrooT'mag like this

#5 mactheman

mactheman
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:06 AM

Echinacea root(echinacea purpurea)taken to stimulate the immune system,including where you are suffering from cronic tiredness ,good for flu ,boils acne,herpes,make a tincture as shown above take one teaspoon every3hours for one week,or make a decoction of 1 1/2oz (40g) of the herb 1 1/2pt(750ml)water,put in saucepan boil and simmer with lid on for 10-15mins,strain pour into bottle, take 1/2 acup 3 times a day, peace,mac.

Edited by mactheman, 25 February 2012 - 01:34 PM.

• Crosscut and GrooT'mag like this

#6 Crosscut

Crosscut
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

hey Mac,do you have a good one for stuffy sinus and chest.could really use one right about now.
  • GrooT'mag likes this

#7 mactheman

mactheman
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:27 PM

hi crosscut try the Echinacea root above with a little ginger root sliced in to the tea ,and sweeten with a tea spoon of honey in it,,peace,mac,
  • GrooT'mag likes this

#8 mactheman

mactheman
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:36 PM

if your chest is tight and unproductive cough,try this ;take1 -1 1/2oz(12g)of thyme.1oz of chamomile,1 teaspoon of cinnamon.and pinch of cayenne pepper,make tea with1pt (20pt) water ,simmer to reduce,add suger or honey,when cold strain and bottle. take 1table spoon 3times daily.peace,mac.

Edited by mactheman, 25 February 2012 - 04:39 PM.

• twistyman, Crosscut and GrooT'mag like this

#9 T'Mag

T'Mag
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:08 PM

hey Mac,do you have a good one for stuffy sinus and chest.could really use one right about now.

Hey top cola

this is a little off topic but a must for info'z sake........

congaplex is the shit to remove pnumonia sludge from the lungs and sinus infection.
you can take 2-4 capciles 3-4 times a day
past to years i taken while every one sick and dieing around me my colds have been minimal to temporary

http://www.standardp...talog.spi?ID=49

i wonder if we can make this our self..... i will go get the bottle and trip you out with the ingredients.

i know it works cuz this year my wife and kids have had a chest cold for over a month and they have had antibiotics.

i took congeplex every day for a few weeks and the cold flu lung sludge never took hold
  • Crosscut and mactheman like this

#10 Crosscut

Crosscut
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:00 PM

Mac that second recipe you posted,i actually have everything but the camomile. big pharma ADVIL wins this time i guess.
i wonder,are these herbs available at are local health food stores?
Tmag, i will have to get that stuff ordered up before the next epidemic..thanks for looking out guys.
  • mactheman likes this

#11 mactheman

mactheman
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:05 PM

hi crosscut you should be able to find the the herbs at the healthfood shop,but if you have a bit of garden why not grow a few herbs your self?if you dont have an outside space to grow ,try a couple of small pots on a sunny windowsill.cheers,peace,mac.
  • Crosscut likes this

#12 mactheman

mactheman
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:47 PM

MARIGOLD(calendula officinalis)Make a tea with 2or3flowers add to a cup of boiling water,infuse for 10 minutes. Good for lifting your spirits,gargle for sore throats,or use as a wash for spots ,boils.inflamed wounds,painfull varicose veins,sore nipples in nursing mothers,use as a douche for vaginal infections,..it as healing and anti inflammatory actions,WARNING DO NOT CONFUSE WITH FRENCH OR AFRICAN MARIGOLDS(Tagetes species).---marigold is also used in a tincture for sprains,hot joints,use 1 dessert spoon to 1 cup of water ,dip cloth in to water wring out and apply to sprains and joints to soothe and draw heat from the joints,,,peace,mac.
  • weezer and Crosscut like this

#13 T'Mag

T'Mag
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:09 PM

hey mac ever here of this?.... found this today so i copied and pasted

Granny's vegetable Glycerin

* trichomed filled bud trimming (EDIT: I do make strain specific tinctures now as I have found there is a difference in each individual strain)
* vegetable grade glycerine

Recipe Instructions
make a non-achohol based tincture by first having enough juicy trichomed filled trim (and buds) to fill the size of canning jar you have. use quart and half gallon canning jars, and sometimes pints depending on avaiability becuase I make mine strain specific. First take your dried trim (not buds, those can be crushed dried and added) and soak it in cold water for 15-20 minutes ( this is done to rinse out the chlorophyll), then drain well. Put enough trim in your jar to fill it to about 3/4's full. Add vegetable grade glycerin to within a few inches of the top. Cap and store in cool dark place, taking out at least once daily and roll and shake for 5-10 minutes. This process should be done at least 60 days, and can be left even longer for stronger tincture. set jar into a pot of hot with water under very low for 10-15 minutes to help separate more of the trichomes, (never getting over 185 degree's) and it makes it easier to strain . Then strain and or press to separate trim from glycerin. Some use coffee filters to for final straining, use a piece of silk screen.
Keep refrigerated

Updated 2/1/2010.. during the winter I have used my lil oil filled heater (electric) , and during the day I put it on low, and put a towel over the top and lay a few jars at a time on their sides, this warms them for easier shaking..

A shorter way to make the vegetable grade glycerin is to put trim and glycerin (enough to cover trim well) into crock pot for 12 hours one day,,turn off at night,,then 12 hours the next day and voila done. BUT, that said you must make sure that the temps do not get over 185 degrees. My first batch I burned and could taste (yukky). The second batch I had very good results as I left the lid on the crock pot slightly open being held that way with my candy thermometer so I could also keep an eye on temp's. It did have a cooked flavor, but was okay and quick. But stir, stir, stir. lol

#14 T'Mag

T'Mag
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:22 PM

we can make this for sure " skunk plant " extract alcohol and vegetable.... ha

http://www.herb-phar...products_id=177

#15 mactheman

mactheman
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:00 PM

STINGING NETTLE(urtica diaica)Make a tea with 1oz(28g) of dried herb and 1pt(500ml) of water,or 1 teaspoon of herb 1 cup of water,leave for 15 minites to infuse,dose 1 cup 3times a day,or up to 6times a day for acute cases,,,,good for iron deficiency anemia.good to take in pregnancy.,also good for lethargy,weakness and feelings of heaviness in the body,useas a lotion for nettle rash,insect bite,helpfull in arthritis,a good all round tonic.,,,peace,mac.
PS as before you can sweeten with honey,

Edited by mactheman, 27 February 2012 - 05:22 PM.

• weezer and Crosscut like this

#16 mactheman

mactheman
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:21 PM

hi tmag i forgot to reply about the glycerin.
i first read about it in weedworld mag ,last year i think ,i will get bacl to you
when i find it,mac
  • GrooT'mag likes this

#17 mactheman

mactheman
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:43 PM

RE;SKUNK-WEED OR SKUNK CABBAGE,(symplocarpus foetidus) the uses of ;asthma,chronic catarrh,rheumamatism,hysteria,helpful in epilepsy,warning it is also narcotic in its actions,not really recomended,,,,Use powered root mixed with honey 1/2oz (14g) to4oz (112g)of honey,or make ticture,dose 1 gram in honey.
.. WARNING NOT TO BE USED INFORMATION ONLY
Peace,mac.
  • Crosscut likes this

#18 mactheman

mactheman
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:13 PM

YARROW(Achillea millefolium),Good for early stages of fever,cattarrh ,sinusitits,hay fever, and dust allergies.make standard tea withdried herb,1oz,to 1pt water,brew for 15min utes, take freely for fevers etc, if you suffer from cold feet add a little ginger to the tea, also you can use the tea or make tincture to disinfect wounds and stop bleeding.,peace,mac.
  • Crosscut likes this

#19 mactheman

mactheman
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:43 PM

CATMINT-(Nepeta cataria)Make tea with 1oz or the flowering herb to 1pt of boiling water infuse do not boil,good for premoting perspiration in fevers and inducing sleep,and restlessness in children,dose for adults 2tablespoonsful ,or children 2-3 teaspoonsful,taken frequently,good for colicky pains in children,,also the tea can be used to wash the hair for scurf and danduff , the root is said to be chewed to make a gentle person fierce and quarrelsome,it is said a hangman used to chew it toget courage befor he could hang some one,

Edited by mactheman, 24 March 2012 - 01:47 PM.

#20 mactheman

mactheman
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:06 PM

CAYENNE PEPPER-Make an infused oil with 1dessertspoon of cayenne pepper 2dessertspoons of powered mustard seed 2teaspoons of powered ginger root in 1cup of un-blended vegetable oil,sunflower oil,or grape seed oil ,use as a rub for cold joints and muscle spasm. should only be used on small areas at a time ,can be used for chronic back pain and neuralgia,may take a week or two to improve,Also useful for unbroken chilblains.It is a warming antispasmodic rub ,improving circulation,and relaxing tension and spasm,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users