- - - - -

Dry ice Hash & a cool press

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Sixstring

Sixstring
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:20 PM

I figure i could start a seperate thread on this and show off this very cool press i got for cheap.I saw a video on another site and decided to give it a shot because i just wasn't happy with my yields from doing the bubble ice hash method,it's messy,and takes me most of a day to do multiple runs and clean up is just a bitch to me.So i googled dry ice because i knew nothing about it and bam,got info on its chemical makeup,storage and handling,and where to buy it.After doing my first run here http://www.skunkskoo...s-garden/page18 i decided to buy a nice press so i could better weigh and dispence the stuff to my patients(medical grower).So i got the ok from the wife to buy a press and i was looking at all the really expensive presses and came acrossed a thread on icmag that talked about a clay press for cheap.the wife got on amazon and found it for under 18.00 with shipping,nice work 4 string;) So i got out the royal rumble trim and tried to get some shots for ya's.i got one bag(6lbs) of dry ice from meijers and got out the R.R. trim and my 220 micron work bag from my now useless 5 bag set(5 gallon)and went to work.this press is realy cool for the money and it just happens to be the same size as a dime or penny so you can make cool impressions into the ends of the hash discs.things to remember when doing this are #1 dry ice is really cold,like -109f so it will burn your skin fast like fire.#2 it gives off lots of co2 so you cant put it in a sealed container(i used a igloo cooler to bring it home)so just dont try to make the container air tight.#3 is common safety shit,wear gloves and glasses if you use my method of smashing it with a hammer.i triple bagged it at the store and keep it in all the bags to crush it.just put a towel on the floor and lightly break up the ice.put your dry broke up trim in the bucket,cover with ice(i used half a bag for this run) a quick shake,then let it sit for 2 minutes.then you put the work bag over the bucket,turn it upside down over a clean table or big mirror and start shaking it out.i started on one side of the table and worked my way around until it starts to change color.at this point it is starting to freeze the actual plant matter and it will start coming through the bag with the trichomes.some folks will take the frozen trim and make butter afterwards but i just toss mine.the whole reason for me doing this is to get rid of all my trim without too much waste.we make butter out of the same good looking trim so now me and the little lady will be fighting over the trim,nice problem imo.after im done i put the unused ice and all the dirty ice/trim in a bag on the floor in my grow room,plants love co2 right? heres some pics.but the readers digest of this run was 55 grams of trim made 10.7 grams of nice blonde hash that gets me feeling no pain;)ill talk more later about the press,gotta run.
  • weezer, ..., GrooT'mag and 2 others like this

#2 Sixstring

Sixstring
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:22 PM

heres the video i watched that got me hooked.
  • GrooT'mag and hardroc like this

#3 EkimRI

EkimRI
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:28 PM

Nice yield six...

I own the very same clay press, just be careful not to over torque it.
You can usually get an extra quarter or half turn if you heat the barrel ever so slightly too...
  • weezer and hardroc like this

#4 Aforce

Aforce
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:34 PM

it looks really good 6s.. how muck hash did you get off of the 5.5oz? just the 10.7g or were you able to do another run or two? 10 grams of hash from 150 grams (that looks like small nugs) doesn't seem like very much..

edit - derp.. i got the 150 grams from the pic of the scale, then i read the 55 grams in the post and some how turned it into 150 grams, my bad... 10g hash from 55g is amazing.. damn man im speechless!!! do you think that silk screen purchased from a art store would work with dry ice if secured over the bucket?

Edited by Aforce, 08 February 2012 - 10:37 PM.

• hardroc and Sixstring like this

#5 EkimRI

EkimRI
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:42 PM

What's the count on the screen Aforce?
  • Sixstring likes this

#6 Aforce

Aforce
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:54 PM

i havent checked what they carry but its my understanding they dont use microns for silk screen, its a thread count? what would you suggest? what im not sure of is will silk screen hold up to dry ice temps with out falling apart? i have never seen a bubble bag tho so for all i know they could be made using silk screen.

#7 Sixstring

Sixstring
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:41 AM

my bubble bags are made from some kind of plastic or poly fiber,the screen. the bag feels like gortex or something similar.im not sure what a silk screen is but the microns must matter.i'm thinking about trying a run with my 160 bag,i know i'll get less yield but also less plant matter.to me it looks just like regular bubble under my scope but the yield is triple.i do know that the dry ice does not harm the towel i use to break it up and it gets really cold.ive been tsting the 2 different colors in a pipe on a screen to see how it burns and the good/blonde stuff burns nice with almost no ash,the other dark stuff that come off last just has a bit of ash.both kinds get me really fuggin stoned so i like it;) I gotta say that press is bad to the bone for the money,i made a bunch of 1.5-2.5 gram discs and just gave away the last one to my guys and they all seemed really excited.I'm gunna try one or two of those pattern discs that came with the press and make some shapes,might work ,might not.if you own bubble bags bust out the 220 and give it a shot,def worth the 10 bucks for ice,and you can manually press it folded in paper with a couple books or get creative with other items around the house.i kept a bunch of the powder for myself cause thats how i like it,just sprinkled in a doob or over a lil nug in a bong.peace
  • GrooT'mag likes this

#8 Sixstring

Sixstring
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:49 AM

just found this on amazon,pretty much the whole shootin match for around 40 bucks.http://www.amazon.co...28751888&sr=8-2 . http://www.amazon.co..._bxgy_ol_text_b.. i like mine better;)http://www.amazon.co...28751888&sr=8-2
  • GrooT'mag likes this

#9 T'Mag

T'Mag
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

i just got mine in the mail yesterday
http://trichome-bags.com
i spent 36$ on ebay for a few bags
  • Sixstring likes this

#10 ...

• Guests

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

gotta love the Gortex
  • Sixstring likes this

#11 Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout

Pot Professor

• Skooler
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3391 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:52 PM

Another oldie resurrected as part of my continuing education. I have the box o' buds pictured below, some bubble bags, and a bucket. I can get dry ice in town a few miles down the road as soon as I'm ready to rock.

This stuff is dry, I was originally going to try my hand at making hash Rif Valley-style but I couldn't find a local source for silk screen.

I'm thinking of just stripping everything off the stems directly into the bucket with my hands.

Any idea How full should I fill the bucket with bud and leaf and how much dry ice will I need for that much?

• twistyman, Yellowjacket, mactheman and 5 others like this

#12 funguy

funguy

Junior

• Skooler
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationCentral California

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:36 PM

Glad you found this I'm going to give it a try I do bubble right now and yes I always dread making it. That seemed super easy. 

• Yellowjacket, mactheman, Sixstring and 3 others like this

#13 Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout

Pot Professor

• Skooler
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3391 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:47 PM

Glad you found this I'm going to give it a try I do bubble right now and yes I always dread making it. That seemed super easy. 

Me too. :)

I had 10 questions and that video answered all 16 of them. :D

I have serious doubts about my ability to do it before my ribs heal though. I've been trying to think of a way to hang it from the ceiling by bungie cords to hold the weight so all I'd have to do is manipulate it but haven't come up with anything yet.

I already designed, in my head, the model that will use a paint shaker attachment for my air compressor for when I can afford a paint shaker attachment for my air compressor. All that would take owuld be a couple of heavy duty cinch straps to hold the buckert to it. With a plastic bus-boy tray underneath it. :D

• Yellowjacket, mactheman, Sixstring and 3 others like this

#14 Sixstring

Sixstring

Seis

• Administrators
  • 4882 posts
  • Locationmy moms house in my bedroom :)

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:31 AM

I use a 5 gal bucket and my 220 work bag.i put about 3 to 4 inches deep in the bottom of the bucket of ground nugs.and I use half a bag of the dry ice and do 2 runs of it.once done I put the used ice in my veg room to melt and feed the girls co2 :)
but my favorite part is making the pucks with my clay press.

no stems and an aggressive shake makes for slightly better yields. .
  • twistyman, mactheman, Shadeleaf and 4 others like this

Michigan Medical Compliant   tongue.png

shit happens,rama lama ding dong   :P

#15 idjit

idjit

Tardling

• Skooler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1589 posts
  • Locationlost

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:17 PM

Jigsaw,reciprocating saw..........viable cheaper easier to convert alternatives.
Had some serious thoughts about it yestarday processing about a lb of material......just about got it fingered out will prolly put it together this week.
  • Yellowjacket, mactheman, Sixstring and 4 others like this

#16 Shadeleaf

Shadeleaf

• Skooler
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:28 AM

Trout, If you go to your local welding shop that sells oxygen and acetylene they usually make it on the spot. They usually have a minimum amount 

they will make in pounds, but it comes in little pellets about the size of 1/2 ice cube. A small styrofoam cooler about 1/2 full will be 8/.10 pounds for about 25/30 dollars.

The first time play with it to figure out how much, use enough to cover at least 1/2 the amount of material you have in your bucket.

Trial and error, put the ice on top the gases from it are heavy and they  will settle to the bottom or something like that. Let it set for about 15 min. Then shake good and then shake on the  table top and watch the beautiful crystals collect its kinda  like watching snow fall.

I make my first run for myself using a smaller micron bag 90/ 120 to get me a batch of really clean & quality hash. Be sure you put a 220 bag on this batch before you throw it out. When you use the smaller micron bags You can press it with little effort because it is so sticky.

The smell makes you want to keep going back to it.

this is  just my opinion, And I always have fun doing this and always spend a day or two wondering Where the other day or two went.

Your friend Shade!!!

• mattso101, Yellowjacket, mactheman and 4 others like this
So many strains and so little time and space.

#17 Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout

Pot Professor

• Skooler
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3391 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:41 PM

Nice. Thanks for the advice. I can get dry ice at the local market for a dollar a pound.

• Yellowjacket, mactheman, Shadeleaf and 3 others like this

#18 Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout

Pot Professor

• Skooler
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3391 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 12:15 AM

My ribs finally stopped hurting so I'm going to give this a try. I got 8 pounds of dry ice for just shy of ten bucks.

I can't find my 220 bag so I'll be using the 160 bag. I'm, going to do one run of the stuff in the box above and one run with my high-quality trim.

Cover me, I'm going in. :)

• Yellowjacket, funguy and Freakshow like this

#19 Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout

Pot Professor

• Skooler
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3391 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:08 AM

It's in the bucket for its 15 minute colling off period. :)

The dry ice is so cold the outside of the laminar hot/cold bag it's in is condensating on the outside.

I used maybe a third of the stuff in the box and it was 6" deep in teh bucket, so it may take three or four runs to get through it all. This first batch will let me know if it's worth it. If it is good, I may grind the rest to increase yield.

• Yellowjacket, funguy and Freakshow like this

#20 Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout

Pot Professor

• Skooler
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3391 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:32 AM

Hey, it works. This is pretty cool and way easier than bubble. I shook it the first time until I couldn't hold it up anymore and scraped that into a pile and waited about ten mnutes. Then I shaked it again and got another nice pile, about half the size of the original, and it's a bit greener. So I'm letting it sit a third time to see what happens. Then onto the next batch.

Added: Third shaking yielded about as much as the second. I think I'll go for a fourth shaking . It may be all vegetative matter but they pikles aer separated and I cna smoke test them all. ;)

Added 2: Fourth shaking was about half the yield and I'm guessing there's not many trichs in it. We'll see.

Now i'm going to run some high-quality trim from some ten-week plants.

• funguy and Freakshow like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users