Origins of OG Kush?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 PBF

PBF
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:29 AM

Whats your take on the origins of OG Kush?:neutral:

Of course this isn't the only video on the origins of OG Kush but I want your thoughts on this...I have some the crippy when I used to live in so flo and would love to grow it!
  • GrooT'mag and Sixstring like this

#2 PBF

PBF
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:13 PM

Anyone?

#3 Sixstring

Sixstring
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:45 PM

i have no clue . but i enjoyed the video again;)you would think with all the kush i grow i would have some og.guess i need to find some.

#4 PBF

PBF
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:03 PM

The truth in all this I just wanna get my hands on that crippy lol.

#5 skh

skh
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:33 PM

i'm from the UK, here we only understand cheese. i was hoping kid twist would jump in on this thread, he's our resident kush expert. must be away on business or something.

#6 PBF

PBF
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:41 PM

i'm from the UK, here we only understand cheese. i was hoping kid twist would jump in on this thread, he's our resident kush expert. must be away on business or something.

From what I read in High Times a while back is that Chem dog made the kush's and diesels? The video threw me off and just wanted to get some input. Hope he could chime in...

Now that cheese is something else. Been smokin this BlueCheese lately and damn the taste when exhaling is like nothing else! Literally like rotten fuckin cheese!

#7 pockets

pockets
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:39 PM

i never even gave the cheese a second look as many arent even the real deal or watered down considering how old the strain was. but ive hade the chance to grow them and all i can say is that its the most unique tasting herb ive tasted to date(just as tasty as sour diesel, a beautiful blend of flavors), my pheno is a lemon dairy cream almost lemon sherbertish but very creamy in a cheese way but not cheesy and the best part is that it all transfers to the smoke. if you ask me the cheese will match very nicely with the official sour diesel cut. sorry for thr rant....but...

i also heard that the og was an s1 of the chem line, i guess thats the mainstream story, true or not i cant say but ive read it more than once in different forums

Edited by pockets, 25 January 2012 - 10:42 PM.

#8 PBF

PBF
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:50 PM

Could you imagine the taste you would get from that cross...yummy! Thanks for the input pockets.
  • pockets likes this

#9 JEB5304

JEB5304
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:34 AM

i have no clue . but i enjoyed the video again;)you would think with all the kush i grow i would have some og.guess i need to find some.

That Tahoe is bomb. Didn't the assclown plug ya?
It is my understanding that OG has some of its roots in the mountains of Afghanistan. It was then grown in Cali by the ocean(OG-ocean grown) and crossed with 1 or more Cali strains in the hills. That is what I was led to believe by an old cali hippy grower I met a while back. I have no reason to doubt him.
  • TylerDurdeN likes this

#10 TylerDurdeN

TylerDurdeN
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:43 AM

Cali connection has a good thread on there site that breaks down the origins of og kush its a gkkd read and the writer seemed passionate and believed in the knowledge he was posting i wish o could copy n paste or i would have posted it up in here its all very intriguing i really do enjoy researching old strains and familiarizeing myself with them whenever possible.

#11 RoninAmok

RoninAmok
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:56 AM

Anyone?

Damn two thread in one day.................look I'm not gonna act like an asshole in this one ( apologies to Mr.Durden , please don't make any soap for me) suffice to say that the guy in the video , well I'd wear a set of hip waders to avoid the steaming odorific collection of male bovine excremental leavings coming out of his mouth. And I won't be the only one stating this.

Different hype machine , different person and name..........same same on the methods and hype though.
  • skh likes this

#12 RoninAmok

RoninAmok
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:03 AM

From what I read in High Times a while back is that Chem dog made the kush's and diesels? The video threw me off and just wanted to get some input. Hope he could chime in...

Now that cheese is something else. Been smokin this BlueCheese lately and damn the taste when exhaling is like nothing else! Literally like rotten fuckin cheese!

That's pretty much the accepted and most likely story. If you want me to I can highlight the holes in the Fla story , and there are several.

The " Tahoe " cut is the purported ( and most likely candidate) for being the original and the story is that it's simply a different ChemDawg pheno , I wasn't impressed then and I remain underwhelmed by it and the vast majority of subsequent OGs , I *will* try Kidtwist's double SFV , I like the SkyWalker the Deadhead and 81 cuts , the Worf is off the hook but I don't really consider it an OG , haven't done the King Louie , I have done some from some "big names" and you'll note that *none* are still here , and I had a batch from one of those big names that frigging auto-flowered in veg on me , I confine OGs now for the most part to the three cuts I mentioned and just a bring 'em in and run 'em basis , won't buy any in seed again with the exception of Twist's that I mentioned and that's more based on what I have seen of *him* as an individual in the way of backing his stuff up , in other words he does and the vast majority of the others DON'T.

Nowadays there's specific seed *breeders* I'd trust , not specific strains. For instance among "big names" that sometimes get crap talked about them..I'll try anything SubCool/TGA comes up with , and the Querkle I have here is a long term keep , and not the Z pheno this is the more Space Queen pheno.

One big name I'd never purchase seeds from again is Barney's Farm , the Blue Cheese became a keeper , but it took quite a bit of work to get it there , the Tangerine Dream was complete crap with a capital C. Never again.

And then we have pirate jack***es like this one...make sure you read the top of the page and note the " real special SEEDS!!!!" claims.............what's freakin' special except the price?

http://www.cannabism...esnutseeds.html

#13 skh

skh
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:39 PM

doggiesnuts, LOL

hey speedy, you remember those guys right? speedy bought seeds from them back when he first started growing. LOL> memories, eh? this is a personal joke between me and speedy from the ex speedyseedz. Speedy said to me that he thought as they were soooo highly priced they must be the best. He learned quickly that that wasn't the case. I haven't clicked the link, but i cannot believe pukka seeds are still operating. I bet they laugh at every sale.

Back when i first started growing i grew subcool, not quite 6 years ago now i grew spacequeen (spacejill), JTR and Vortex. I started 80 seeds altogether, like paid for 40 and got 40 free. Believe it or not my first grow was under 6, 400w lights. i'd never grown a thing in my life. It was actually the help of potroast and garden knowm, widowmaker from the old riu days that got me through that grow. I couldn't believe it the day i mockingly searched google for help with my grow and found a forum. wtf? I tried to join breedbay (as i'd bought the beans from sub's ex business partner pistils) at first but something went wrong with the registration process and i ended up at RIU, which was quite small back then, just over 200 members i believe. Anyway, subcool is an excellent breeder in my book and i've always said that.

I think breeders need to keep genetics moving. what's the point in making an IBL if the strain can't permanently breed true anyway? like we see with pedigree dogs, they suffer greater health problems as a rule than do cross breeds. breeding true seems to be more degrading than keeping a clone several years, if we look at blueberry, ak47, skunk 1, NL#9 to name just a few. even subcool's strains lose their lustre after a while as i found out when trying to grow spacejill several years after the first one. low germ rates and mutated sprogs.

It seems to me from my minimal amount of experience that a breeder simply needs to know what is good and what isn't and cross the two together, work it for a few years and then move onto something else. trying to stabilise genetics for too long in seed form seems to mess up after a while.

These days i don't care what I grow, I already have two plants that I can keep for life and one day i may even get something that can compete with those two. I grew out kid's sfv one time and it was excellent, a little too prone to PM for me as my growing conditions are not the best which is why i had to get rid of her. But very frosty, lemony and potent. It takes time for a new strain to settle in sometimes, we tend to like to stick with what we know and even a new more potent strain coming in may not be recognised at first.

as to the origins of anything i don't think it really matters. even a breeder creating a strain can't lay claim to every twist and turn the genetics he helped meet create. like cheese and skunk #1... obviously quite different, yet they come from the same gene pool. the creator of skunk#1 cannot lay claim to have created cheese. i think all that really matters is if it's good or not and then those special cuts tend to get their own special names anyway. Like the superpower in my area (and a few others now as it is spreading) could be anything, but nobody cares because all we know is it is super strong, where it came from does not matter. I agree though too that bullshit behind the stories is unnecessary.
  • mactheman and Sixstring like this

#14 mactheman

mactheman
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:33 PM

hi peeps got me books out again Jason King cannabible3 page152,he says og kush is a sister to sour diesel.and both are descendants of the chem/dawg-diesel line.please dont blame me if i am wrong,lol.peace. mac.
  • Sixstring likes this

#15 greenacres

greenacres
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:38 PM

bit of a story on kushes ive got....

[h=2]Clone Only Strains - OG Kush[/h]

Story #1:
OG Kush (the original cut) came from an S1 from in a bag of '91 Chemdawg in the Lake Tahoe area in 1996.

Story #2: (by Kailua kid from sierra seedsPosted Image
In late '93 John from Grass Valley Ca. got the Chem Dog cut. He shared it with me, Jerry(cowboy) from Dibble Creek Ca. and Harold(Putz) from Sunset Beach Ca. Putz had a male he called the secret ingredient. It was a cross of Lemon Thai and an Old World Paki Kush. Putz bred the secret ingredient to the Chem Dog. The buds that came out of this cross were going around So. L.A. county in '95. Someone told Putz that Kush must be so good because it was mountain grown. Putz laughed and told him "this Kush is Ocean Grown Kush bro". The tag stuck and it became known as OG Kush. In the spring of '96 Putz married a girl from New Zealand. Before moving there he sent cuts of his OG to me and Bob(beans) in Salinas Ca. He gave all his P1 stock and all the remaining seed he had to Mike(mad dog) from Downey Ca. In late '96 Mike sold some seed to some guys in the Valley. That's where the San Fernando Valley cut of OG comes from. It's like the Original only more sat in pheno type. Mike sold a cut of the original to a guy in Orange county and that cut is called Larry today. It's still around Orange county. Mike sent one other cut of the original OG to a breeder in Europe. As far as I know he never let anyone else have it.
Jerry bred his Chem Dog cut to a Humboldt county indica boy. This was the beginning of his cubing proccess. At BX3 he got a pheno that had all the smell, taste and kick of the Chem Dog, but in a pure indica pheno. Jerry gave this plant to Bob. It became known as the West Coast Dog.
Bob bred this plant to my Old World Kush male. He took a male from that cross and bred it to the OG cut Putz had sent him. This is what made the original Bubba.

Lineage: ChemDawg x [Lemon Thai x Old World Paki Kush]

Info on the different cuttings of OG Kush:

* Tahoe: cut brough into the community by Swerve. The grower that Swerve got it from had sourced the cut in the Lake Tahoe area in the 90's.
* Larry: The Orange County Larry cut that is availble in the medical scene came from the same Orange County crew that the H.A O.G Kush came from
* SFV: There are a million O.G cuts grown in the S.F.V, however the cut that goes by this name on these forums and in medical disp. came from forum member Swerve
* Ghost: This cut came from ORGNKID, ORGNKID had sold a O.G cut to a Overgrow forum member named "Ghost" who further distributed the cut.
* Tripple OG: This cut came from ORGNKID. This cut is A.K.A Triple X/XXX O.G Kush. Triple O.G was popularly sold to medical patients by the now defunct C.A.L.M disp. of Malibu.
* Abusive: This cut was brought into the community by an overgrow member named "Abusive", believe it or not Abusive claimed to have got the cut through the rapper Snoop Dogg.
* SAC#2: Cut brought into the scene by forum member O.Gkushman, O.Gkushman got the cut from DJ Muggs.
* P.R OG A.K.A Private Reserve O.G: Another O.G cut that ORGNKID brought into the scene. The cut was sold to Med patients as Private Reserve O.G through the now defunct C.A.L.M disp. of Malibu.
* Apothecary: O.G cut brought into the scene by the apothecary seed co's Brett. Brett got it from a high profile Medical MJ activist in L.A back in 1999
* Diablo: This = cut came from the R.D.C disp. In the San Fernando Valley
* Raskal's OG: Another cut sourced in the San Fernando Valley. Cut was bought for several thousand dollers from ******* ***** members by a friends of forum member OGraskal
* HA OG: Cut came from an commercial H.A room in Orange County, grown by the same crew that brought the Orange County Larry cut into the medical Disp.
* Poison OG: Cut came from O.Gkushman, he grew it from seed found in a pound of O.G back in ‘96
* SAC#1 & SAC#3: #1 came from G-Thumb in the San Fernando Valley, #3 came from San Fernando Valley but is very popular in Santa Barbara and sometimes goes by the name “Purple O.G Kush”, the cut was brought into the scene by the owner of the now defunct Hortipharm in Santa Barbara

Crossbreeds and hybrids with "OG Kush"

#16 greenacres

greenacres
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:43 PM

big names....subcool?..serious. hated his stuff. went to the trash. tested way week to. i wouldnt trust him. calls something sat dom but is indi dom by a mile. bad mouths those that took him to the cup. guys just a fool to me. running on missinformed kids on likes of riu and so on. never see him last on real forms...like here.
sory just dont like his stuff or person

#17 RoninAmok

RoninAmok
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:12 PM

big names....subcool?..serious. hated his stuff. went to the trash. tested way week to. i wouldnt trust him. calls something sat dom but is indi dom by a mile. bad mouths those that took him to the cup. guys just a fool to me. running on missinformed kids on likes of riu and so on. never see him last on real forms...like here.
sory just dont like his stuff or person

MY mileage varies considerably on that one , and as I said the Querkle I keep has proven to be a long term keeper , stands up with the rest of the stuff here as regards power.

Me I don't put all that much stock in the Cup thing , it's an indicator sure , but not all that great of one , there's a whole slew of cup winners that I wouldn't want on a bet , nor do I put much stock in how long a given individual lasts in a given forum , of the public ones there are only this one and maybe one or two others that are worth bothering with , there are some decent private ones.

I figure that something I'm growing only has to please one person..me. After that anything else is immaterial.

#18 greenacres

greenacres
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:41 PM

lol..i dont out any stock in any cups. their a joke.
wasnt so much that. was him sitting in hotel room on youtube mouthin off about hi times and how bad the smoke was over there. insult after insult to the guys that paid his way and advertised his sorry ass to make it to what he is now. i loose respect for anyone that bites a hand that feeds them
]usualy the private siutes i find are nazi. dont want outside info or advice. to clicky for me, more about popularity contests...some not all
i list them right up there with sites that boot you for links to other sites. nazy-ism i see it as. control

#19 skh

skh
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:44 PM

6 years ago subcool was just getting started. it was fame that killed him like it does many a good man.

subcool had great cuts and it's easy to produce greatness from greatness. it's maintaining that greatness that is the true test and i agree subcool fell by the wayside... IMO. However if he brought out something new and i got given the beans for free i would grow them.. because he can recognise dank.
  • Sixstring likes this

#20 skh

skh
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:47 PM

lol..i dont out any stock in any cups. their a joke.
wasnt so much that. was him sitting in hotel room on youtube mouthin off about hi times and how bad the smoke was over there. insult after insult to the guys that paid his way and advertised his sorry ass to make it to what he is now. i loose respect for anyone that bites a hand that feeds them
]usualy the private siutes i find are nazi. dont want outside info or advice. to clicky for me, more about popularity contests...some not all
i list them right up there with sites that boot you for links to other sites. nazy-ism i see it as. control

GA, you're the clickiest mofo i know so i'm not surprised you find them clicky. how many times have you walked away from here after arguing with me now? Good to have you back again by the way ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users