- - - - -

oil and tinctures?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 Desert Woman

Desert Woman
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:30 PM

brewing oil at the moment. want to get started on some tincture. anyone know the bud/trim to alcohol ratio?

#2 str8dank

str8dank
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:23 PM

i dont but i think Chewwy just started some or has been heavily researching the process and he's one hell of a researcher so i know he has the answer. i've got some home made moonshine i plan on making some with sometime soon. i have one patient that makes it and uses that and cookies and does not like to smoke unless it is a emergency and stopped using morphine and oxycotton because of tincture/edibles i'll ask him how he makes his the next time i talk to him. also he makes his from trim not bud and it's that effective.
  • Desert Woman likes this

#3 Desert Woman

Desert Woman
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:35 PM

i dont but i think Chewwy just started some or has been heavily researching the process and he's one hell of a researcher so i know he has the answer. i've got some home made moonshine i plan on making some with sometime soon. i have one patient that makes it and uses that and cookies and does not like to smoke unless it is a emergency and stopped using morphine and oxycotton because of tincture/edibles i'll ask him how he makes his the next time i talk to him. also he makes his from trim not bud and it's that effective.

thanks so much. i am glad for your friend. those pharms were making me very sick for a long time. can't go back to them, thats for sure. i just stuffed as much as i could get into a quart jar and poured 70 proof blueberry vodka over it to full and closed her up. Hopefully, in a week i will have something to drop under my tongue that will help.

#4 Desert Woman

Desert Woman
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:25 PM

I was thinking i might be able to use ISO (rubbing alcohol) for topical extraction. just soak the bud/trim in the iso for 7 days, drain and filter, and then mix with the carrier oils and wax without any cooking needed. Does anyone know of a reason why this wouldn't work?

#5 Jive Turkey

Jive Turkey
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:52 PM

I was thinking i might be able to use ISO (rubbing alcohol) for topical extraction. just soak the bud/trim in the iso for 7 days, drain and filter, and then mix with the carrier oils and wax without any cooking needed. Does anyone know of a reason why this wouldn't work?

You're going to want the highest % iso you can get. They sell a few different grades of it but it's been years since I've made it. If memory serves me correctly, I think 99.1% is the high end...??
Crush the material as good as you can in a big jar and fill with iso just above the level of bud/crushed leaf and put a lid on it. Grind it a few times a day with a stick or something. In about a week of doing that, drain it through a cheesecloth or something fine enough to catch the particles. Drain it into a pyrex pan that will give it a lot of surface area to evaporate the alcohol off more efficiently. You can do this with no cooking or heat, it will just take longer for the alcohol to evaporate off. A fan helps and warmer temps. as well.
I used to bake mine in the oven on low. (electric of course, I wouldn't try a gas stove for this) Or even simmer on the stove top. Your house will smell like alcohol while you do it. I've also lit the pan of sifted alcohol on fire and let it burn down about 50%. If you try this be very careful, do it outdoors with no wind. Make sure you have oven mitts and a large enough, flat cookie sheet or something you can snuff the fire out with. I've done this and sped the time up from days to just a couple of hours.
Hope this helps!
Be careful if you try this method, it can become a disaster under the wrong circumstances.

#6 Desert Woman

Desert Woman
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:02 PM

i was thinking i could use it in liquid form right after the drain and filter. What kind of substance do you get after you let the alcohol evaporate off. Is is gooey or dry? And, how is it used? I don't think i would need to get it near a flame or stove, we are pretty hot and dry up here. high today of 102! lol! the wind will pick up later..

#7 Jive Turkey

Jive Turkey
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:12 PM

Oops, I thought you were looking to make oil. That's how I do it, and just a dab on top of your bowl.
My friend uses everclear for ticture and he swears by it.

#8 Desert Woman

Desert Woman
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:18 PM

Oops, I thought you were looking to make oil. That's how I do it, and just a dab on top of your bowl.
My friend uses everclear for ticture and he swears by it.

im making oil as well, but i have that bubbling in the crockpot bud/trim/canola oil/water. started yesterday am and put in fresh plant material a while ago. it's my first time 4 oil. only made butter before. same process, mostly. ill have to try it your way one of these days.

they didn't have everclear so i used 70 proof blueberry vodka. it sounded good..

#9 Crosscut

Crosscut
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:10 AM

whatever you do dont use iso for that,you'll be tared and sanded.
the longer ya soak the weed in that, the blacker it gets, and very sticky and hard to get off.

#10 Desert Woman

Desert Woman
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:15 AM

whatever you do dont use iso for that,you'll be tared and sanded.
the longer ya soak the weed in that, the blacker it gets, and very sticky and hard to get off.

good to know. lol! thanks.

#11 Desert Woman

Desert Woman
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:16 PM

oil
i turned off the crock pot so things could cool down a bit before i strain and filter. the recipe i found said to freeze the liquid then skim the oil off the top of the frozen water.

tincture
i am using a quart mason jar. i go in and turn in flip it around every now and then. last night i took a little test taste. i was wondering why my teeth were numb.. this shit is pretty good already. can't wait to try it in a week. not gonna be able to resist a little taste now and then in the meantime. that's what medz are for after all, huh?

thank you for your support and guidance. i will keep posting my progress.

#12 Desert Woman

Desert Woman
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:25 PM

i had frozen the vodka before i poured it through the weed into the mason jar. I didn't realize what i did until i had already poured it in and saw everything start to freeze. I held my breath waiting for the glass to crack. Whew! it didn't. thank goodness.

Do you think freezing affected the process?

#13 weezer

weezer
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:44 PM

So you ingest the alcohol too???
Not the ISO!!

#14 Desert Woman

Desert Woman
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:46 PM

So you ingest the alcohol too???
Not the ISO!!

70 proof blueberry vodka

#15 str8dank

str8dank
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:57 PM

anyone ever try making a Honey based Tincture? Texas Kid a very respected as well proven grower on other forums said he exclusively makes honey and that its better then the other methods. he wont give out his specific recipe it's his breadwinner but he did say this is a good starting point and that over about a year period he kept tweaking this base formula to the one he uses now.

http://www.truthtree..._recipes2.shtml

#16 str8dank

str8dank
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:00 PM

i should have clarified because there is a process to make a extract known as honey as well i believe. I'm talking about using real honey instead of alcohol or glycerol. you do still use a little alcolhol but not the same ratio as you would in a purely alcohol extract.

#17 Desert Woman

Desert Woman
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:03 PM

anyone ever try making a Honey based Tincture? Texas Kid a very respected as well proven grower on other forums said he exclusively makes honey and that its better then the other methods. he wont give out his specific recipe it's his breadwinner but he did say this is a good starting point and that over about a year period he kept tweaking this base formula to the one he uses now.

http://www.truthtree..._recipes2.shtml

very nice recipies. i am looking forward to making the honey tincture. sounds yummy!

#18 Desert Woman

Desert Woman
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:07 PM

Here's what i ended up doing. not bad for first try. Lot's of room for improvement. Suggestions are welcome.

Tincture

• Fill Mason Jar 3/4 full of trim/bud.
  • Fill jar with 70 proof (or better) blueberry vodka (or whatever)
  • Replace plant material as needed.
  • Keep jar full of the alcohol
  • Flip and roll once or twice a day.
  • Wait a week or so
  • Filter through cheese cloth

and Bob's your uncle!

Drop 3 to 5 drops under tongue every 3 to 4 hours, as needed.

I made my last batch with Bicardi Red 151 and added a touch of clove to soften the bite. nice..

Oil/Balm

• Put plant material into a crock pot leaving enough room to cover with water and add a quart of oil
  • Cover with water and add oil. (I have used both canola and olive with good results)
  • Drain off liquid and replace with new plant material as needed (i do this daily over several days)
  • Freeze mixture. pour oil off top of frozen water into a bowl.
  • Simmer water in cast iron fry pan.
  • Put bowl in simmering water.
  • Mix melted wax into oil.
  • Add lavendar oil or other scent/oils of choice
  • Pour into little jar.

numbs the joints and owies, ..

Edited by Desert Woman, 21 January 2012 - 03:06 PM.

• mactheman likes this

#19 MaxxPot

MaxxPot
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:51 PM

A friend of mine made Honey Tincture and used it to make Goo Balls...tasty little popcorn ball-like munchies...using only organic ingredients such as...

popcorn
honey
nuts
granola
raisins
sunflower seeds

Casey was an expert Canna-Chef...and is now a Master Brewer for a distillery in Cali somewhere.
If you're out there Casey...Buzz Daily and others say 'High'...

#20 Desert Woman

Desert Woman
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:26 PM

A friend of mine made Honey Tincture and used it to make Goo Balls...tasty little popcorn ball-like munchies...using only organic ingredients such as...

popcorn
honey
nuts
granola
raisins
sunflower seeds

Casey was an expert Canna-Chef...and is now a Master Brewer for a distillery in Cali somewhere.
If you're out there Casey...Buzz Daily and others say 'High'...

sounds yummy Maxx. i will have to get some supplies together one of these days and give that a try!

i shared the balm with a patient last night he loved it! said he didn't mind the oder at all.. i put some drops of the tincture under his tongue and he said he hasn't been that high in a long time! and the tinc that i used only soaked for one day!

i am encouraged to continue and refine this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users