5 replies to this topic

#1 G.P.

G.P.

Junior

• Skooler
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 04:23 PM

ok got one for you led guys. not realy a grow related question though. just info on the bulbs themselves and life spans.
we have them on some trail cams as the flash. their red in colour. used for night stuff mainly, so we dont have the typical bright blinding camera flashes when it goes off and scares animal or people see them an steal them
so they came oiut with ones called lo glow..their multiple led for a flash, and newest is no-glo. it doesnt emit any light at all, but works as a flash in dark.

anyways. does anyone know what an average life span of them bulbs is. id assume they can only flash so many times and lose brightness? so i might get less quality images possibly over years of use, i know led are suposed to last super long.
so far thats all ive seen guys mention, they just stop working.

#2 mactheman

mactheman

flying high tonight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9149 posts
  • Locationfranks house

Posted 10 December 2016 - 04:48 PM

i think six is the only one here that could answer about LEDs GP ,,,dont think any one here knows more than six ,,,peace,mac.

• Sixstring and G.P. like this

:ph34r:_4uthe man from the uk/weed :lol:

i know nothing 

#3 G.P.

G.P.

Junior

• Skooler
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 07:22 PM

ya was thinkin same. im sure they last so long, and the cams use them so little each time, they should outlast most cams probably.
just sorta wondering if that sudden flash charge vs a steady glo for other led makes a big diff on life.
i know the ater bulbs ignite or strike it takes their life away more. the smoother it is then its less damaging on bulbs, but with led im not to up on how they all work. totaly diff thing.

• Sixstring likes this

#4 twistyman

twistyman

Reefer Rat.

• Administrators
  • 11172 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 10:02 PM

Grow Lights Characteristics Comparison Table
Type Lifespan Cost HPS Grow Lights 18,000 hours ~$150 per bulb and ballast LED Grow Lights 50,000 hours ~$200 per square foot panel T8 Fluorescents 25,000 hours $3 – $5 per bulb T5 Fluorescent 20,000 – 35,000 hours $5 – $10 per bulb

LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes)
220px-Led_grown_lights_useful.jpg

Two plants growing under an LED grow light

LED grow lights are composed of light-emitting diodes, usually in a casing with a heat sink and built-in fans. LED grow lights do not usually require a separate ballast and can be plugged directly into a standard electrical socket.

LED grow light models can be customized to emit only specific wavelengths of light. It is known from the study of photomorphogenesis that green, red, far-red and blue light spectra have an effect on root formation, plant growth, and flowering, but there are not enough scientific studies or field-tested trials using LED grow lights to recommended specific color ratios for optimal plant growth under LED grow lights.[20]

Though plants can grow under only red light, they often display unhealthy growth. It has been shown that many plants will grow normally if given both red and blue light.[21][22][23] However, many studies indicate that even with blue light added to red LEDs, plant growth is still better under light supplemented with green.[24][25][26]
A large number of plant species have been assessed in greenhouse trials to make sure plants have higher quality in biomass and biochemical ingredients even higher or comparable with field conditions. Plant performance of mint, basil, lentil, lettuce, cabbage, parsley, carrot were measured by assessing health and vigor of plants and success in promoting growth. Promoting in profuse flowering of select ornamentals including primula, marigold, stock were also noticed.[27]
In tests conducted by Philips Lighting on LED grow lights to find an optimal light recipe for growing various vegetables in greenhouses, they found that the following aspects of light affects both plant growth (photosynthesis) and plant development (morphology): light intensity, total light over time, light at which moment of the day, light/dark period per day, light quality (spectrum), light direction and light distribution over the plants. However it's noted that in tests between tomatoes, mini cucumbers and bell peppers, the optimal light recipe was not the same for all plants, and varied depending on both the crop and the region, so currently they must optimize LED lighting in greenhouses based on trial and error. They've shown that LED light affects disease resistance, taste and nutritional levels, but as of 2014 they haven't found a way to use that information practically yet.[28]

The diodes used in initial LED grow light designs were usually 1/3 watt to 1 watt in power. However, higher wattage diodes such as 3 watt and 5 watt diodes are now commonly used in LED grow lights.

LED grow lights should be kept at least 12 inches (30 cm) away from plants to prevent leaf burn.[13]

LED grow lights are usually priced much higher, watt-for-watt, than other grow lights, but prices of this newer technology are dropping over time.

LED's usually last for 50,000 hours, or if on a 12 hour timer, 11 years.

https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Grow_light

• mactheman, Sixstring, Buddy_Williams and 1 other like this

Growing weed is like watching grass grow...

#5 Sixstring

Sixstring

Seis

• Administrators
  • 4882 posts
  • Locationmy moms house in my bedroom :)

Posted 11 December 2016 - 06:20 PM

my trail cams use ir leds which is just infrared or far red colors that we dont see too well.its still light and works the same way as the diodes in that panel twisty just posted.my cobs led are just  a group of dioides fit tightly on a chip or pcb board but its the same diode tech.my cobs are rated for 50,000 hours at 2800ma so should be good for 70,000 to 100,000 hours at what i run which is just 1050ma.i have one of the first trail cams with ir flash to come out from a few years ago and its still taking good pics,flash works fine still.im not really sure what your question is about this new glo flash tech,never heard of it.

• twistyman, mactheman, Buddy_Williams and 1 other like this

Michigan Medical Compliant   tongue.png

shit happens,rama lama ding dong   :P

#6 G.P.

G.P.

Junior

• Skooler
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 07:58 PM

ok. thx for that info twist. and six.
ya mines older to..2012 date i think, still worked fine. i just sold it. seems theyll outlast the cams technology.

the newest tech on trail cams is no glow at all. you dont see anything from the led. still gets great images as any other cams do to.
my deer and other do see that low glo, these nobody can. us or animals. havent realy dig into the tech side of why or how they work.

http://www.outdoorli...-no-glow#page-4

• twistyman, mactheman and Buddy_Williams like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users