#1 slab

slab

Santa Loves A Bud

• The Old Skoolers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2818 posts
  • LocationNorth Pole

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:57 PM

The old desktop finally got bit by the lightning gods. It was an old XP setup but I'm thinking about a laptop to replace it. I have trouble learning new operating systems, still trying to figure out that damn tablet, but I guess there is no choice now. Seems the laptops have come a long way in the last 20 yrs. I need a full size keyboard with these monkey paws and a big screen to see the damn thing.

Any suggestions or advice to stay away from?

• GrooT'mag, mactheman and Delta 9 like this

When life throws you lemonade, squeeze the lemons.  :)

#2 Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket

• Skooler
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationHigh Desert of New Mexico

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:57 AM

I still have an  XP Harddrive I boot occasionaly on my desktop (yesterday). If you like XP get a Win 7 before they are gone.

YJ

• GrooT'mag, slab, mactheman and 1 other like this

#3 mactheman

mactheman

flying high tonight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9321 posts
  • Locationfranks house

Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:49 AM

i like my laptop ,,,but it came with windows 8 ..i hated win8 ...but i got a virus and messed the laptop up ,,,so got father in law to fix it and install windows 7 back in the laptop ,,,,,windows10 is the next update system ,ive reserved  it on download but i wont install win 10 till ive seen peopl using it ,,,,but it looks a lot better than win8,,,,,,peace,mac.

• GrooT'mag, slab and Delta 9 like this

:ph34r:_4uthe man from the uk/weed :lol:

i know nothing 

#4 Delta 9

Delta 9

Pot Professor

• The Old Skoolers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2034 posts
  • LocationMisfit Island

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:32 AM

I swore by desktops for years and liked xp, but like you slab my modem and pc got blown up in an electrical storm so I got a laptop. After having it for the last 12 months I'm pretty happy with it, doubt I'd go back to a desktop now.

Windows 8 sucks balls, you need to get the classic shell for it so you don't want to kill someone all the time. I know jack about puters but I'm thinking that windows 10 will be the dodgyest user platform ever, jammed full of spyware and shit like that. Why else would microsoft give shit away for free, it's gotta be a scam.

The brand I got is Acer, it seems OK. One thing I noticed is the cheaper the computer, the more crap programs are pre-loaded onto it, some of which are hard to remove. If you get a laptop slab, make sure to tape over the camera lens to stop fuckers from visually spying on you too. ( Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not watching you ;) )

• GrooT'mag, slab and mactheman like this

#5 weezer

weezer

• The Old Skoolers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2443 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:54 AM

My desk top gave up a few years ago,I had to use a tabilit,,
I got a winpad 10, I really did hate till I got use to it and liked it even better after it broke and have to use this android tablet,,

The windpad is 10 in ,one of if not the biggest at the time,,,it was also out front with external key board,,plug in ,I think a lot are clip on and might wear fast,,,

Windpad did everything desktop would do,,port to accept card from camera and has a mouse..
I bought extras like keyboard is accully a leather case that the tab straps to and becomes a lap top,,I also bought a cradle for charging and making my TV into a monitor,,,,than able to use a reg size key board
And mouse bother cordless,,,

Salesman bullshitted me,he said it would not become obsuleat as its windows and it just keeps updating,,well it got full of updates and can't do nothing now,,

I did not apperate it till I had to start using this damn android its only a 8 in..
It don't take proper camera card,no mouse,no key board to attach, just a plain Jane ,now I am sure you can put more money out to get a better one,,I put 200 tax's in for this one a couple years ago,,,that's not a bad prices up here,,I not use ,I just bought cuz it was only 200$.. I never used it for 18 months or so and it only lasted weeks till it froze up..I took it back to store,he phone company and trued to get warrety,nope but he did give me this newer version for 120$...

Bottom line is that I really hated the change till I got used to the new,,the on screen keyboard is not as bad now ,I got it set to the biggest,,,

The one bad thing is ,hockey draft the page cannot be made bigger so cannot see the player draft window without a mag glass,,

The tab is much easier to carry than all them wires,

There's pros and cons to all devices,some /most of the cons disappear after using it for a bit...
  • slab and mactheman like this

HBD

#6 slab

slab

Santa Loves A Bud

• The Old Skoolers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2818 posts
  • LocationNorth Pole

Posted 04 July 2015 - 01:35 PM

good listening to the problems. the mrs laptop is win7 but i don't like how it behaves either. just old andset in my ways. might have to relearn to bicycle. no tablets i pull out hair everytime i use it.

• mactheman likes this

#7 twistyman

twistyman

Reefer Rat.

• Administrators
  • 11232 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 01:52 PM

all I know is I detest windows 8.1 and pretty sure I'm going to feel same about win 10 when it comes out at end of july..

but you have no choice but to get used to tablet style..

if you use/need a comp/tablet when out and about I'd get a laptop, but thats something else I know jack shit about, never even held one and don't get wifi crap..

I like the desktop for my situation, and dummy level and you can use CD's...etc thats something tablets can't do...

although a laptop would be nice for sofa days, but it would prob drive me nuts like win 8.1 does now...

if you can wait till end of july when win 10 comes out or just after you may be able to get new comp with win 10..

I just got this one 6 months ago and it had win 8...Waaaaaaaaa  make it stop....!!
then I was forced to get 8.1......Waaaaaaaaaa make it stop...but I have figured it out somewhat now...

now its win 10 coming....

so if you can look for win 10 comp as you will only get freaked out 1x not 3x like I have.

• slab, mactheman and Delta 9 like this

Growing weed is like watching grass grow...

#8 mactheman

mactheman

flying high tonight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9321 posts
  • Locationfranks house

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:17 PM

well they windows say they have learnt their lesson over windows 8 ,,,ive seen couple of screen shots of win 10 and it looks a lot better than win8 more along the lines of win 7 in lay out.....think in the uk its priced at £100 ,,after the free down load ,,,,,,,peace,mac.

• twistyman and slab like this

i know nothing 

#9 twistyman

twistyman

Reefer Rat.

• Administrators
  • 11232 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:26 PM

well they windows say they have learnt their lesson over windows 8 ,,,ive seen couple of screen shots of win 10 and it looks a lot better than win8 more along the lines of win 7 in lay out.....think in the uk its priced at £100 ,,after the free down load ,,,,,,,peace,mac.

I saw 2 conflicting reports on this..

one was PC world I think that said the advance people that sin up would get free for 1st yr, THEN free for life of that machine..

then

I saw another from another site saying 1st yrs free then pay..

windows email other day said free 1st yr and then $199 for basic level one..

so I'm waiting to see what happens before I am forced to buy shit..

what pisses me off is I bought this comp NEW in 2015 yet in program files I see that the OS win 8 was loaded in 2013..thats the fucking trouble with comps, they are obsolete by the time you buy them and before....

thats why I was saying "IF" you can hold out to maybe fall you can get the new win 10 on a more recent comp.

I just hate being forced to change..I would have gladly stuck with win 7..they are still doing security updates till 2020 but no style/appearance changes..thats fine by me..

but microS are aggressively pushing win 8/8.1/ to win 10 updates..

I think its cause they are in 3rd plas or lower on browser list and they are introducing new one thats supposed to be better than chrome and firefox..

win 10 demo

#10 twistyman

twistyman

Reefer Rat.

• Administrators
  • 11232 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:30 PM

#11 mactheman

mactheman

flying high tonight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9321 posts
  • Locationfranks house

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:36 PM

think i'll cancel that down load fuk it i'll stay with window 7 ,weve got another 5 years any how before win7 dont get updates ,,,i'll be getting another laptop by then i cant see this one lasting 5 years before i throw it though the window ....think id rather buy a new laptop that all ready loaded with win10 ,,,peace,mac.

i know nothing 

#12 mactheman

mactheman

flying high tonight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9321 posts
  • Locationfranks house

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:45 PM

it says on the windows 10 free download ,that its free and not a Trial of wn10 and the price after will be around £100,,,,,,but i;ll wait i wanna see it up and working first ....peace,mac

• slab likes this

i know nothing 

#13 twistyman

twistyman

Reefer Rat.

• Administrators
  • 11232 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 03:08 PM

think i'll cancel that down load fuk it i'll stay with window 7 ,weve got another 5 years any how before win7 dont get updates ,,,i'll be getting another laptop by then i cant see this one lasting 5 years before i throw it though the window ....think id rather buy a new laptop that all ready loaded with win10 ,,,peace,mac.

Good luck with that..

I googled "what if I don't want win 10" and it showed where to go to back out after registering..I tried about 5x and couldn't even get page to open so looks like they have me by the balls again..

what

pissed me off is I had to increase my net usage because when I was forced to get win 8.1 update it was near week 3 of my limits and almost knocked me over my 15G limit...

I get the update is one thing but when they force you to do it  when it can cost you over usage fee's on your limit that is just wrong...

so I better be able to wait and do when I want..not get a fucking countdown before update starts itself....what if I was doing some important shit, I would have been screwed. I got a 45 min warning that

"Update will start at X time".

#14 mactheman

mactheman

flying high tonight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9321 posts
  • Locationfranks house

Posted 04 July 2015 - 03:12 PM

^^^^^^ i couldnt see where to cancel either Twisty lol..go us both by the balls ,but we dont have to install it ,,,,,peace,mac.

i know nothing 

#15 twistyman

twistyman

Reefer Rat.

• Administrators
  • 11232 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 03:19 PM

^^^^^^ i couldnt see where to cancel either Twisty lol..go us both by the balls ,but we dont have to install it ,,,,,peace,mac.

pffft, they said that with Win 8.1..
for about 2 months I had a "skip" or "not now" thingy to click...until I didn't...

then it said that update would begin at X o'clock....thats why I am pissed....I was still looking at WTF to do in win 8.1 youtubes...so wasn't ready for that drastic change and MB dump..as it is with win 8.1 and Norton AV my G usage is up over 30%..I had to increase my limit from 15G a month to 40G....

granted its only $5 but its the principle...I buy your shit then you force me to get more that I don't want..

they're lucky they don't have a phone number I can call and tear a strip off someones ass...

a guy called fred that sounds more like Samir..lol

• Yellowjacket, slab and mactheman like this

#16 weezer

weezer

• The Old Skoolers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2443 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 03:21 PM

Well I was in a piss off mood when I got back to town so I stopped a the comp store to see what was up with my windpad,they have had it since march/April,I was ready to rid them a new hole ,,dude had it on conture before I got in door ,he said it was fixed and ready to go,he was wanting for virus protector to come up with a killer for the bug I had,finally it did and it was bug free,,,

I was pretty excited as I have no way to get pics from camera with this device,its been almost a year so I have not been takin many pics,,,had tab with me yesterday was taking pics of another project,seen this,pic did not catch the brilance and depth,but better than black and white or me with crayons,,

So I get my winpad home fire it up ,try to open the fox,,proxy sever won't allow its says,,,,adobe did update,that's what started the problem last time ,,it asked to update but it was fake,,,this one not ask it just updated and it went so fast I could not see if it was proper one ,,,

So I took it back to shop,he mucked around,changed settings and fox came up,,but not for long it went back to saying about proxy sever,,,,he looked at setting and it had been changed,,,so he scanning it again

Attached Files

• twistyman, slab, mactheman and 1 other like this

HBD

#17 mactheman

mactheman

flying high tonight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9321 posts
  • Locationfranks house

Posted 04 July 2015 - 03:24 PM

pffft, they said that with Win 8.1..
for about 2 months I had a "skip" or "not now" thingy to click...until I didn't...

then it said that update would begin at X o'clock....thats why I am pissed....I was still looking at WTF to do in win 8.1 youtubes...so wasn't ready for that drastic change and MB dump..as it is with win 8.1 and Norton AV my G usage is up over 30%..I had to increase my limit from 15G a month to 40G....

granted its only $5 but its the principle...I buy your shit then you force me to get more that I don't want..

they're lucky they don't have a phone number I can call and tear a strip off someones ass...

a guy called fred that sounds more like Samir..lol

---------------guy i talked to at the dongle call center said his name was Kenneth ,,,the one before was michael ..but like you could or should ghave been kavinda or muhammad ...peace,mac. 

• twistyman, Yellowjacket, slab and 1 other like this

i know nothing 

#18 slab

slab

Santa Loves A Bud

• The Old Skoolers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2818 posts
  • LocationNorth Pole

Posted 04 July 2015 - 03:37 PM

what a mess. i can tell this is not just my problem but industry wide. this win7 i had a reply all typed out and hit some wwrong key and lost it all. come on!!! grrrr.

but anyway maybe i should just get a new hard drive and reload xp to try that. All i get now is a blue screen after the windowsXP banner runs. In safe mode all i get is a long list of drivers on a b/w screen. I doubt anyone will even work on an xp anymore.

waiting is something i'm really good at. i've just about perfected that. :D

• twistyman, Yellowjacket, mactheman and 1 other like this

#19 twistyman

twistyman

Reefer Rat.

• Administrators
  • 11232 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 03:50 PM

what a mess. i can tell this is not just my problem but industry wide. this win7 i had a reply all typed out and hit some wwrong key and lost it all. come on!!! grrrr.

but anyway maybe i should just get a new hard drive and reload xp to try that. All i get now is a blue screen after the windowsXP banner runs. In safe mode all i get is a long list of drivers on a b/w screen. I doubt anyone will even work on an xp anymore.

waiting is something i'm really good at. i've just about perfected that. :D

really can't use XP...was just talking about that on CNN in past two days..there is zero support for bugs, at least win 7 has to do needed security shit till 2020

so looks like you be moving on....

damn I'm too old for all this shit..lo

#20 twistyman

twistyman

Reefer Rat.

• Administrators
  • 11232 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 03:53 PM

Well I was in a piss off mood when I got back to town so I stopped a the comp store to see what was up with my windpad,they have had it since march/April,I was ready to rid them a new hole ,,dude had it on conture before I got in door ,he said it was fixed and ready to go,he was wanting for virus protector to come up with a killer for the bug I had,finally it did and it was bug free,,,

I was pretty excited as I have no way to get pics from camera with this device,its been almost a year so I have not been takin many pics,,,had tab with me yesterday was taking pics of another project,seen this,pic did not catch the brilance and depth,but better than black and white or me with crayons,,

So I get my winpad home fire it up ,try to open the fox,,proxy sever won't allow its says,,,,adobe did update,that's what started the problem last time ,,it asked to update but it was fake,,,this one not ask it just updated and it went so fast I could not see if it was proper one ,,,

So I took it back to shop,he mucked around,changed settings and fox came up,,but not for long it went back to saying about proxy sever,,,,he looked at setting and it had been changed,,,so he scanning it again

---------------guy i talked to at the dongle call center said his name was Kenneth ,,,the one before was michael ..but like you could or should ghave been kavinda or muhammad ...peace,mac. 

damn you two guys are cursed...Weez has had issues with one tablet thing or another for a long time and Mac and his dongle sound like something that would to use UK term "have me swinging over".......

I'm sticking to my pile O desktop and staying the hell away from tablets and dongles...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users