Santa Loves A Bud

• The Old Skoolers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2818 posts
  • LocationNorth Pole

Posted 27 April 2015 - 03:06 PM

another way

http://www.cvdvt.org...-meet-glycerin/

Glycerin is a sweet syrup-like substance that is chemically related to alcohol. It is a by-product of soap and candle manufacture, where fats and oils are broken down into glycerin and fatty acids by the use of high pressure steam. It is colorless, odorless, viscous and of low toxicity. It is 60% as sweet as table sugar (sucrose) with a comparable caloric density. It is absorbed in the human body at a rate 30% slower than sucrose and thus has a lower glycemic index. Three common bases of glycerin are animal fats, soybean oil and coconut oil. We are currently using an organic, non-gmo soybean derived product to manufacture our glycerin tinctures (also referred to as glycerites). The primary advantage of making tinctures with glycerin is to avoid using alcohol so that people with alcohol sensitivities can have access to these forms of extracts. Alcohol is generally regarded as both a superior solvent and preservative when compared to glycerin. Some studies report that glycerin has the capability of only holding 33% the amount of cannabis oil that alcohol can. Thus, it is widely recommended that doses be increased when using glycerites as opposed to alcohol tinctures in order to receive a comparable effect. However, due to the different chemical reactions that are inherent in the two solvents (the way that these solvents break apart the plant material to access their components, or “information” as we like to refer to phyto-chemicals and nutrients), others argue that glycerin actually delivers a more potent extract because it preserves the protein structures of the information that is sought after in the botanical being extracted. Glycerin may capture less information, but the information that it does glean is complete. Alcohol, conversely, has the potential to denature botanical constituents, rendering them inert, because our bodies can no longer “read” or access the information. We believe that both solvents have their place and that their benefits are registered differently in each individual. A glycerin tincture can be just as powerful as an alcohol tincture, at the right time, for the right person, in the right dose. As with any first time experience with one of our products, we recommend that you begin with low doses so that you may register your own individual response to the medication. With this information, you can have the confidence to build your own process of self medication. Stored properly, in containers tightly sealed in low light environments, glycerin tinctures have an approximate 1 year shelf life.

There are two ways that glycerin tinctures can be prepared, the hot and the cold extraction methods. The cold method takes months (3-12 for best outcomes) to complete and results in a more floral, aromatic product as the terpenes in the cannabis are not dispersed by the application of heat. A cold method extract is made simply by combining cannabis flowers with the glycerin and letting it soak in an airtight container stored in a cool, dark place. The container is agitated daily in order to encourage the extraction process. After a set period of time (best after 60 days), the glycerite is strained and the process begun again with fresh flowers using the glycerin extract that was just created. This layering is a process of potentization. Beautifully aromatic, tasty and effective tinctures are made this way. We are experimenting with extended periods of saturation to learn more about how this effects potency, flavor and aroma. After the final saturation, the glycerite can be gently heated to enable decarboxylation. We  keep temperatures below 180F as this preserves the most terpenes while slowly decarboxylating the THC, preventing it from degrading to CBN. Our first cold extraction glycerin tincture will be available the week of the Summer Solstice in 2014.

The hot extraction method produces an effective tincture in a matter of days as heat is used to accelerate the transfer of cannabinoids. This glycerite has more of a toasted flavor as the terpene content of the cannabis is diminished during the cooking process. Temperatures are once again kept under 180F in order to keep this loss to a minimum. This method requires a long and low method of cooking with repeated stirring in order to encourage the extraction process. The glycerin and cannabis are combined in a glass jar and placed in a hot oil bath. We prefer oil because it does not evaporate during the process as water does, a concern due to the time involved. The temperature of the glycerite is gently raised and lowered several times over a 24 hour period. The length of this process is determined by preference concerning potency and flavor. Longer cook times create a more robust tasting tincture, but run the risk of passing by peak decarboxylation, the point at which maximum THC content begins to fade into CBN production. Particular attention is paid to the variances that occur in decarboxylation based on strain. We have noticed throughout our extensive decarb experiences that each strain reacts differently to temperature and time. We utilize your senses to gauge the effectiveness of the decarb process. Sometimes this is just as effective as the hard data that can be received from a lab. The color, scent, taste and texture of the cannabis during the decarb process gives us obvious clues about where we are on the spectrum. When the hot extraction method has been completed to our satisfaction, the glycerite is left to cool and rest. The plant material settles to the bottom of the jar so that the final product can be easily poured off to strain.

- See more at: http://www.cvdvt.org...h.A3X4YMDo.dpuf

Edited by slab, 27 April 2015 - 03:07 PM.

• GrooT'mag and mactheman like this

When life throws you lemonade, squeeze the lemons.  :)

#23 GrooT'mag

GrooT'mag

Lo-totem Plenipotentiary

• The Old Skoolers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3379 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:40 PM

WEED 3 

https://youtu.be/Se5x48eDaaE

dam link vid cut and paste

Edited by GrooT'mag, 20 May 2015 - 03:14 AM.

• slab and mactheman like this

damn its cold up here

#24 twistyman

twistyman

Reefer Rat.

• Administrators
  • 11231 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:22 PM

it was a good tip to use browser addy toolbar code instead of YT one..

stupid pain in ass line..

• GrooT'mag, slab and mactheman like this

Growing weed is like watching grass grow...

#25 GrooT'mag

GrooT'mag

Lo-totem Plenipotentiary

• The Old Skoolers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3379 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:14 AM

thanks bud

damn its cold up here

#26 Freakshow

Freakshow

Senior

• Skooler
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:30 PM

=====

hey freak

no doubt ...... where's my manners...... slab, you tell your bro the group is thinking of him.

when you blend or pulverize it.....it will extract faster...... if i was fighting cancer, id be eating it all....no straining, no wasting.... nothing wrong with redneck medicine

but some folks may need it strained 

cold....id say at lest a week of stirring it cold

but

heated it will certainly extract faster

i've heard of it taking months for a full extraction. I guess that's not true? Have you had your glycerine extract tested for content (THC, CBD, CBA, CBC, etc)?

• GrooT'mag, slab and mactheman like this

#27 GrooT'mag

GrooT'mag

Lo-totem Plenipotentiary

• The Old Skoolers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3379 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:37 PM

i've heard of it taking months for a full extraction. I guess that's not true? Have you had your glycerine extract tested for content (THC, CBD, CBA, CBC, etc)?

==========

yep go back 1 page....... post 16 is a whole plant extract

i have tried both glycerine but i like olive oil myself..... to each his own

it would be about 500$ and 5 months of testing to see how much molecules are extracted using only glicerine 

and

500$ and 5 months to see how olive oil extracts?......... that would be a great science project Freak !

unfortunately next year it will be illegal again to make oils using solvents in WA...... unless you have a license??

slabs thred is a great tool to show solvent-less extraction with no heat.

Attached File  IMG_1764.JPG   127KB   0 downloads

about 2 weeks in it started to turn green

now its 3 weeks and its dark...... id say looking good.

this was a late harvest bud & leaf....... so i expect it to be a little on the sleepy side

early harvest tends to be low in yeild but with cbc happening on at the onset of bloom? i take the sacrifice for the better good of man kind.......( learned that here at the Skunk'o'rama)

and if the plant has had CBD bred back into it i tend to find a lot of CBCa CBDa and THCa on the early harvest....

but thats just me

thx slab

damn its cold up here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users